This sanctuary is the vestige of the oldest religious establishment established in the territory of Abona and, therefore, in the whole of the southeast of the island of Tenerife.
It is reported that even before the construction of the first hermitage in the early 1500s, an image had already appeared on the Abona beach, possibly that of Nuestra Señora de la Luz or Tajo, which had been preserved by the last Guanche natives in the surrounding caves, in a similar way to that of the Virgen de Candelaria. In fact, both are related to the discovery of candles and remains or drips of wax on the beaches near their sanctuaries and along the coastal path that was used for the well-known and mystical procession of the angels that took place in crowds at night.
The best place to erect the ancient hermitage must have been the elevated area of La Punta, as it naturally ensured its visibility (both from the land and from the sea), as well as the sought-after “divine grandeur” of its construction. Ancient texts indicate that by the year 1514, there were already two labourers and a mule working on it, as well as indicating that around that time, some burials of ancient aborigines from Icor were carried out on the site.
The history of this temple is full of numerous anecdotes and events, as well as the eternal need to overcome the onslaught of the sea breeze, which conditioned its evolution and the extension works as a building and religious emblem.
The true history of the more traditional images that have appeared in the area seems to have some gaps in the literature. It seems that it is from the 1700s onwards that there is talk of the celebration of the festivities of the Sagrada Virgen de Las Mercedes, whose image was stripped of the Child and fragmented into numerous pieces after an assault by Algerian pirates in 1741. It was recomposed by the locals and, still full of scars, placed back on its altar.
After this event, and due to its advanced state of ruin, throughout the 18th century the building underwent a major renovation, as well as the acquisition of high quality relics, making it one of the most luxurious sanctuaries in the South.
In 1835, it suffered a great fire which caused the old image to disappear, so the current one was acquired, which, from the moment it was placed, aroused great devotion among its neighbours.
It was in the middle of the 20th century that some of its last alterations and extensions took place, such as the addition of the two small side naves. Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)