Logo Comarca Chasna Isora

Iglesia y Antiguo Convento Franciscano

Bien de Interés Cultural con categoría de Monumento. 1985.

The church has a single nave with a main chapel, and the convent has a belfry and porter’s lodge. Its original building disappeared in the fire of 1745 and, although it was rebuilt, it never reached its original dimensions.

It also suffered a collapse in the 20th century. The church was restored and still conserves its Mudejar craftsmanship. It also houses carvings and altarpieces from the Canarian school. Its foundation was authorised by Bishop Fray Juan de Toledo in 1665. Its location was chosen with the neighbours and they placed a cross, as well as the first stone. The enclosure was dedicated to San Luis, bishop of Tolosa, although it is popularly known as San Francisco because it belongs to that order. It was destroyed by fire, saving the Blessed Sacrament, the image of Saint Francis, a wooden Saint Anthony and part of the archives. The servants of the lordship were in charge of rebuilding and putting the monastery back into operation. When it was closed by the monks in 1821.

The building was used as the Town Hall until its catastrophic collapse at the beginning of 1963, which took the lives of 23 residents of the municipality, and slightly more than a hundred injured, as illustrated on a commemorative plaque located in the inner courtyard of the building.

Despite the previous event, part of the building continued to be used as a municipal building, a corral de comedias, a storage room and a dunghill. At the beginning of the 1990s v

Location

Share news:

Related news