Logo Comarca Chasna Isora

Iglesia de Santa Úrsula

Bien de Interés Cultural con la categoría de Monumento. 1986.


The Church of Santa Úrsula, one of the first religious constructions in the south of Tenerife, had its origins in a primitive hermitage built in the first decades of the 16th century, parallel to the construction of the Casa Fuerte, under the patronage of Pedro de Ponte y Vergara.


Facing east, it consists of two naves of different lengths and periods. The longer one, from the 17th century, houses the presbytery and the main chapel, while the one on the Gospel side, from the 16th century, topped by the chapel of the Rosary, is extended by the sacristy, on the upper floor of which there are two interesting wooden oriels or mullioned windows, among which is the polychrome stone coat of arms of the lords of Adeje. The naves are separated by a semicircular arch on Tuscan columns; the interior ceiling is in the Mudejar style.


The interior houses works of great historical and artistic interest such as the Virgen de la Encarnación, patron saint of Adeje, Ntra. Sra. de la Candelaria facsimile of the original image that disappeared in the flood of 1826, Ntra. Sra. de Guadalupe, 17th century, anonymous from Guatemala or San Juan Bautista Niño -Martín de Andújar- among others.


The sgraffito work decorating the upper part of some of the external walls is its most characteristic feature, along with the belfry with three bells in a triangle, in the centre of which rests a small pedestal supporting the head of an idol, a rare inspiration in Canary Island architecture.

Location

Share news:

Related news